Most people will rush to treat pimples as soon as they show up on the face, but acne can occur on other areas of the body, too. One area in particular that is largely ignored is the back. Back acne is common, but because the back is hard to see and reach, back acne is often left untreated. There are a number of natural acne remedies that can be made at home and used to treat acne on the back as well as other parts of the body. Here are 5 of the best:
- Lemon juice – Simply have someone rub half of a lemon over the affected areas on your back. The lemon acts as an astringent, which will kill the bacteria that causes acne. The acne will soon dry up.
- Oatmeal bath – This is easier because you can do it yourself. If you have a grinder or food processer, finely grind the oatmeal so that it mixes better with the bath water. Otherwise, place 3 to 4 tablespoons of oatmeal in a sock and keep squeezing it under the running water so that it mixes well. Soak for 15 to 30 minutes. You can also use the sock as a sponge by rubbing it on the affected areas.
- Witch hazel – An active astringent, witch hazel will clean clogged pores and reduce redness and irritation caused by the acne. Just soak a cotton ball with witch hazel and apply it to your back (or have someone apply it for you) 2 to 3 times a day. You may also put it in a spray bottle and mist it over your back.
- Epsom salt – Mix 1 to 2 cups of Epsom salt with warm bath water and soak for 15 to 30 minutes. The magnesium in the Epsom salt is quickly absorbed by the skin to relieve redness, itching and irritation caused by acne. It will help rid the body of toxins and regulate nutrients such as vitamin D, zinc and potassium, which are vital to healthy skin.
- Baking soda paste – Mix a tablespoon of baking soda with enough water to make a paste and apply it directly to the acne. Leave it on for 15 minutes and wipe off or rinse. Baking soda balances the pH of the skin, relieves the redness and swelling of acne and exfoliates the skin, removing dead skin cells that can cause acne.
These home remedies will help clear up any acne you have and if you continue to use them, will help prevent new acne from forming. Another valuable tool in the fight for acne-clear skin is to minimize stress in your life. Stress causes a hormonal imbalance that can contribute to acne. Learn to meditate and get enough rest to keep your body in peak condition. Eating right and taking a multi-vitamin daily will help to ensure that the nutrients you need for healthy skin are working.
Nutrients such as vitamin A, vitamin E, magnesium and zinc are all necessary to keeping your skin in optimal health. If you keep a balanced diet with plenty of healthy foods and take a vitamin supplement daily, you should acquire all the proper nutrients for clear, acne-free skin. Take care of your skin and it will take care of you.