With longer daylight and blooming flowers, spring is the best time of the year for outdoor activities, especially for children. However, the season also brings termites into our homes and office buildings. When this happens, you need the services of a reliable company for termite control.
How to identify termites
The first step in dealing with a termite infestation is to identify the pest. Termites live in underground tunnels, but you can observe their presence through mud tubes or through their food sources such as moist or rotting wood.
Termites are slightly different than ants in appearance. For instance, their antennae are straight, even though some have drooping antennae. Their wings are nearly equal in size and length. Common types of termites include:
- Drywood termite: a smaller and less common type of termite
- Native subterranean termite: the most common in the U.S.
- Formosan termite: invasive and less common
Dangers of termite infestation
Termites can go undetected within your home for years, eating away your house structure and causing extensive structural damage. Without immediate control measures, termites can do the following without the knowledge of the property owner:
- They can harm structural integrity: Termites hollow out any part of a structure, causing serious safety issues in search of food.
- Spread molds: Mold grows in the same areas that are preferred by termites, and as they crawl through the wood, they spread the mold.
- Pose health risks to your loved ones: Skin diseases and fungal infections, such as systemic histoplasmosis or Candida, are triggered by mold presence, which is spread by termites.
- Damage electrical wires: Termites use their strong jaws to chew through electrical cables and wiring in search for more digestible cellulose.
Control measures to adopt
As a property owner, you must respond appropriately in order to arrest termite infestation. The National Pest Management Association recommends the following:
- Eliminate or reduce moisture: Termites breed in moist places. By reducing the amount of moisture in and around your property, you are a step ahead in controlling them.
- Repair damaged components: Ensure that you mend rotted shingles, fascia board, water pipes and other fixtures immediately. They are a main food source for termites.
- Routinely inspect your property: Once they invade a property, you cannot control termites with DIY measures. It is always advisable to ask an expert to check your building, especially the foundation.
- Create a physical termite barrier: A non-chemical method of controlling termites, this happens at the time of construction. Before you buy a house, check to see if it has one.
Termite control experts in San Mateo
In the San Mateo area, you can find a reliable company for termite control. We are a local provider, so we will respond immediately to your termite infestation concerns. We give all our customers equal attention regardless of the size of their orders. In addition, we offer competitive pricing without compromising the quality of our services.
If you notice any sign of termite infestation in the doorframes, windows or skirting boards of your property, call us today for a free quote!